Many people suffer from ongoing digestive distress- sometimes labelled as IBS, sometimes just a mystery. Watching what you eat can make a big difference in symptoms. The following tips may help you manage gas, bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea and/or constipation:
Avoid food triggers – the foods that upset your system. These differ from person to person, but dairy products and “sugar-free” foods are two of the key triggers.
Eat small, frequent meals. Large meals can cause pain and bloating.
- The most common food trigger is dairy. Lactose isn’t the only culprit – for many people the proteins in milk, particularly casein, can cause digestive upset. The Simply Bar and Simply Protein Chips contains no milk products.
- Avoid sugar alcohols. The body cannot fully absorb these thus they are low calorie. However the unabsorbed portion is fermented by bacteria creating gas and causing digestive upset. Sugar alcohols include sorbitol, maltitol, and xylitol.You can often detect them with a funny aftertaste in protein bars. The Simply Bar is sweetened with brown rice syrup – easy-to-absorb and natural. All our snacks contain no sugar alcohols.
Reduce your fat consumption. Besides the numerous health problems associated with consuming excess fat, it also slows digestion which can lead to bloating.
- Simply Choices are under 40 grams and always under 160 calories – a perfect small meal/snack.
- Simply Choices are a satisfying and convenient way to keep hunger at bay between small meals.
Limit consumption of simple carbohydrates/sugars.
- Simply Choices have 4 grams of fat or less per bar. The Simply Bar is, by far, the lowest fat protein bar available.
A note about chocolate: Many people find they have trouble with chocolate, but it is the sugar and milk that is the issue, not the cocoa. Pure cocoa is actually used in many countries to treat diarrhea. Cocoa also contains high levels of flavonoids, which have been shown to have beneficial effects on heart health. We use organic cocoa in our bars. Compare this to other protein bars which list the ingredients in cocoa as sugar, milk, soy lecithin, and flavours.
- Simply Choices have only 2-4 grams of simple sugars per serving, which come from low glycemic plant sources.